…Progress happens when all the factors that make for it are ready, and then it is inevitable… – Henry Ford
Well worth watching…
The basic elements of creativity – Copy, Transform, Combine.
Dr. Frank Echenhofer proposes of a cycle to describe the generation of imagery under the influence of a psychoactive (ayahuasca) or within a meditative state.
This cycle may also loosely map to the antagonism and resolution occurring within a dream, and could perhaps also be applied to conscious creativity or directed problem solving.
I hope my interpretation does not do his work an injustice!
Descendent: Negative, haunted, hurtful. ‘Letting go’.
1. Enhanced Conflicting Energy (clearance)
Uncovering the unresolved and potentially tortuous aspects.
2. Tolerating Overwhelming Experiences (the gateway)
Approaching the issue- circling and deconstruction (dismantling of form).
3. Dismantling of Self-Schema (rebirth)
The germination of the new form. The loss of conscious control. This may be a positive or negative experience.
Uplifting: positive and transcendent
4. Enhanced inner attunement (focus)
Awareness of the components.
5. Enhanced form fluidity (awareness and wash)
6. Enhanced compressed complexity (collapse and collation)
Formation of detail and form consolidation.
7. Enhanced field complexity (a broadened perspective)
An appreciation of the generative field, i.e. the structure surrounding the invention.
8. Enhanced vertical attunement (escalation)
An acceleration of the thought process- the ‘mind-blowing’ stage.
9. Enhanced horizontal attunement (sharing)
An openness and diffusion of the generated form.
Each time we undergo the cycle, we get better at the stages, more adept at stabilisation and more skilful at expression. There is, however, never any guarantee that the cycle will complete successfully once started.
My own interpretation of the final phase is that broadcasting the final form can, under the right conditions, push it into the start of the cycle for others and, thus, can form a chained ‘collective consciousness’.